View Single Post
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Or depending on your location & carrier, you can give Motorola Droid 4 a try. But watch first the radios it supports.
Hmm. Yeah it looks like a pretty nice bit of hardware but seems that it is yet to be hacked for US GSM use. :/

There is this, though. Supposedly it can be hacked to work with EDGE, with potential to get 4G after the repurposing of that bandwidth in the US.

Not sure who to believe, though. I read through the thread on XDA where the real pros were trying to get the Droid 4 to work with US GSM and they had concluded it was too securely locked down.

Looking at this comparison of the features reminds me that the "transflective" LCD of the N900 was also a selling point for me. I use it in direct sunlight a lot. I'm wondering if all or any other LCDs in these phones are "transflective". I know that LCD tech is more likely to be visible in sunlight than LED simply because there's a physical change in the light transmission properties in the pixels in an LCD, but i don't know if there's something special needed to make it "transflective".

ETA: Appears the D4 has good sunlight visibility, but not sure how it compares with N900: "Yes. The "blurring during vertical scroll" is a reported "feature" of the D4's pentile display. There was much griping in this forum early in the D4's release history about that. It seems that we've mostly gotten used to it, although it still bugs me a bit when I notice it. OTOH, I believe the pentile display is better in sunlight (for instance, compared to the Samsung Stratosphere, since you mention it... my wife's using one of those, and I can use my D4 outdoors in lighting that completely washer her display out.) "

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2013-05-29 at 17:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: