View Single Post
continuing adventures in x11vlc:

It loads erratically. It only starts on the Nokia about one time in three, if the process viewer I'm using is accurate. Most of the time the PC connects when the process is running, so that's an improvement, and suggests that the problems I've been having involve a failure to launch, so to speak.

The Nokia server unloads when you end the session by closing the PC window. Network problems that interrupt the connection also cause it to unload.

On the Nokia it appears to be slightly more reliable with a fixed IP address on my home network. However, switching to a fixed IP address for some reason seems to mess up my email, which I've set up with Google POP mail as the incoming client, and Verizon as the outgoing client. Oddly I can have same IP address assigned by the server, and email is fine, only when I set it to a fixed IP do I have a problem.

Screen controls are problematic. F3 solves the problem of getting at the left-side menus. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a key that will let me edit the URL of a web page. This is a real deal breaker.

One last unrelated question: is there anything out there that will synchronize a web-based todo list (or even a file, like on Google) with the Nokia? I thought maybe I could make something work with Google calendar but I'm having exactly the same problems with Python runtime as a half-dozen other people here have discussed.

On the upside, email and RSS are wonderful, and the Nokia has given my ROKU music server, which has a dismal remote control, a whole new lease on life.