View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Last night my third N900 succumbed to this error, so I finally got around to cutting up some old springs I had lying around and trying to do this springs treatment on all of them.

Initially I had good results on N900s 1 and 3, had to re-do N900 2 before it started working. Later today (about 18 hours after doing so), N900 2 against displayed the 'all telephony disabled blah blah' error. And N900 3 is intermittently losing connection to cell network and showing the no-sim-card icon, then having it reappear and getting connection back (I'm also unsure if N900 2 is able to connect to 3G/3.5G or if N900 3 is able to connect to 2G/2.5G).

N900 1 has a different unrelated instability, and currently sits in virtually un-altered, rarely-used, stock-just-reflashed state. I don't regularly carry it with me. Currently N900 2 rides in one of my pockets. N900 3 is my actual phone, and is currently carried in a cellphone holster on the hip.

I routinely parkour when moving around places (my username actually is partially a reference to parkour) on foot, so the devices probably bounce around a bit more than they would for more 'average' people, I guess. I also do a thing where if I have to text behind the wheel, I have the phone placed against the wheel of the car (that way my hands are still on the wheel, thumbs on N900 keyboard, and since I can touch-type on the N900 eyes can stay focused on the road; about as safe as texting while driving can be, I think). The vibration from the wheel might also contribute to damaging the telephony chips' attachments to the motherboard. All three of my N900s developed these issues after about 1-1.5 year(s) of use, so I suspect the above use patterns do contribute to this problem in a fairly consistent though gradual way.

Anyway, I just wanted to make this post to report my luck with the method. If nothing else, it works are triage, it seems. With more force on the chips N900 3 may even go back to being as reliable as it was before the issue, for all I know. I would love it if this works for me indefinitely. Perhaps, if I end up getting yet another N900 (if I am unable to reliably use either of my N900s as a phone until the Neo900 becomes a thing I can get), I will insert springs in as a preventative measure, which may help avoid the issue developing in my case in the first place. Worth investigating, methinks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: