View Single Post
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Compare the current OS2007 development environments to the stuff available for Palm or Windows Mobile. It takes literally minutes to build a small GUI app using HB++ (Palm example) or the Compact Framework 2.0 with Visual Studio 2005 (Windows Mobile). Anybody can get up and running with a simple application in a matter of moments, and the IDE helps to concentrate on the specific functional content of the app, without much thought about the environment.
I had the same problem. It is a bit of an uphill struggle (although setting up for 2007 is easier than setting up for 2006). However, it is doable.

Originally Posted by trevarthan View Post
I suppose the easiest thing for me would be to start in Python - I will try to install/update the VMware machine with Python 2.5.
(don't want to sound harsh, just a bit frustrated about that (too) steep learning curve There are family fathers with young kids and few sparetime that would like to develop for the N800, without first investing weeks in getting up and running ...hehe)
One of the things microsoft gets right (and I don't think there is that much!), is making the setup for writing software on their machines trivially easy. Ok you still need to be able to write stuff, but it means there is more software made, and thus more good software. Also has the secondary effect of making less technical software that doesn't require you to have knowledge of linux to use - one of the most obvious things I have noticed since using the n770 is a lot of software expects you to understand linux, or have technical knowledge in the subject.