View Single Post
Originally Posted by Ulle View Post
I had a short check with dbus-monitor whats going on when calling Nokia maps from addressbook. The address is separated into several peaces like zipcode and house number etc for getting long/lat . Easy, when having it in separate fields as in abook. But might be hard to split when it is all in one string. Hopefully Nokia/AddressToLocation accepts such localized address oneliners like google maps (api).
I forgot that the address in contacts is split between so many fields. Although not impossible to do, accurate parsing of the location field would require strict formatting from the user or possibly a lot of effort to get the heuristics right.

I have also found another problem: AddressToLocations is not good at finding things (tested with the address book). It is unable to correctly find some places, even though the search box in the maps application does so flawlessly. With those problems combined, I'm afraid this feature would be pretty unreliable.

Perhaps all of that could be solved by using some web API, but I don't want to add too much bloat. Someday I may write a separate D-Bus service to handle those lookups for Qalendar (or check if something like that already exists).

Originally Posted by foobar View Post
In the list of calendars, the UI-visible strings are somewhat off.
E.g. I see 'cal_ti_calendar_private' + 'DEFAULT_PRIVATE' for the private calendar, and 'N900' + 'DEFAULT_SYNC' for the default calendar.
Looks like "cal_ti_calendar_private" is a string for translation. For some reason I had just plain "Private" there, but after deleting the database, it has indeed been recreated with "cal_ti_calendar_private". Thanks for noticing that.

"DEFAULT_PRIVATE" and friends are there for my convenience, and will eventually be replaced with something prettier.

It looks similar for the birthday calendar.
Do you mean there's something like "cal_ti_calendar_birthday" (I do not have this one), or just "BIRTHDAY_CALENDAR"?

And a question: Do you plan to support the missing stuff re: birthday calendar?
Yes, I want to provide a complete replacement. But for today, there's only Qalendar 0.7.2:
  • Email addresses, phone numbers and web links in task/event details can be clickable.
  • Added clone action for events and tasks.
  • Invisible calendars in the calendar picker are grouped together and dimmed.
  • Each update after this one will not require Qalenar in background mode to be restarted manually.
  • New translation: German by deryo and tempura.san.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post: