Thread: Nokia Watch?
View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I'd never heard of such a thing till I was messing around on the goodwill website.

Apparently it's been around for a while. Who knew?

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/111569688

Would be neat if there were a syncing app for SFOS, etc.
That's a Withings watch branded as Nokia, probably some display piece.
As you might know Withings was acquired by Nokia some years ago and then divested again after an year or so. (For a while Nokia was keen on following the Health/Measure-Yourself craze but never managed to cash on it and so rid itself of all health-related business...)

I've got one of those which is exactly identical to the piece shown above except for "Withings" brand instead of "Nokia". It's a pretty OK as watches go, and has just this one function, measuring daily exercise level from 0% to 100%
What I like about it is the long battery life, it runs for couple of years on a battery, not needing daily/weekly charging like smartwathches.
The activity measurement is pretty basic, it records continuously all movement to a buffer that lasts about a week and resets the activity counter each day.

The downside of it is that it is very tightly coupled to the withings cloud and you need an Android application for just about any operation you would like to perform, for example you cannot even set the time except from the application
All data visualization and analysis is done through the Withings portal so you need to pull data from the watch to the cloud before being able to see your stats and graphs.

I really hate the trend of uploading personal statistics to cloud which seems to be the norm today so I spent some time reverse-engineering the BTLE protocol it uses between the watch and phone but never got it into useful shape so my watch has been resting on the bottom of a drawer for few years now...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: