View Single Post
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I'm curious what use you would get out of JVM on a phone
I guess the current thinking is "if Sailfish doesn't offer software natively, I can go to Android". I want a Sailfish phone in part because I don't like Android and would prefer to patron anything else (except Microsoft). I know a good Python port is available. Is that built-in? As long as it doesn't adversely impact storage for user-installed programs, I don't mind a fatter Sailfish image with maps, an office suite, a JVM, etc. Anybody who doesn't want it can uninstall it or doesn't have to use it. But I'll admit this could also be old school thinking. I use a JVM regularly with Symbian, and it feels like an oversight on Jolla's part to force me to give it up.

Originally Posted by thetao View Post
Can anybody tell me definitively that one or more third party FM radio programs work?

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
They work, but not on the Xperia X, and no sorry its not an easy fix and not a widely demanded feature either.
Augh! That's a problem because I use Symbian's FM radio all the time. Will need to make some noise on Jolla's Together server...once I can finally log in.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Open "Jolla Store", go to "Markets" (bottom end), choose Aptoide Store (with Android apps).

You can also use the web browser to search and download Amazon App Store, F-Droid, etc.
Ah, Aptoid = Android. Got it.

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-61513

it'll be using the RNDIS networking drivers
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Okay, I see you indeed have been using da symbian a bit too long, right?
Things have changed a bit from those days, when you needeed to connect to a device via slip/ppp and utter AT-commands to it to make the connection!

Nowdays there is nothing like that needed any longer.

When a (linux-) phone is connected to 3G/4G/5G network, it always has the packet connection open in kernel, there is an active network device that can send/receive packets in the device.
Yes, too long, but I don't like Android, can't quite accept an iPhone, and won't buy Windoze-anything, so have felt stuck. I can still make most things work on my 3rd Ed. phone with a little effort. It's frustrating that lack of TLS 1.1/1.2, something relatively small, is what finally made it obsolete.

Thanks for the networking/tethering details! This is all very interesting and will be my next Sailfish reading project.

And thanks for all the great answers, everybody!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post: