View Single Post
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
In case somebody already answered this question here, sorry for not reading the whole thread from end to end. A thorough search I did first did not answer it.

Well, I'm looking for a free, stable quality (i.e. non-beta) option for viewing (editing not necessary) MS Word docs (also .docx format), without having to install easy debian just for the sake of Open Office. easy debian is not an option for me, it's just to fiddly and slow on my device, even just for viewing.
And NOT Docs To Go. Basically I'd be willing to pay, but not for this.
Isn't there any such thing as a real Maemo app, stable quality, for viewing MS docs? Do I really have to go convert stuff or upload it to Google docs or pay for bad software or younameit to just look at a stupid document?

Forgive me for ranting, um... had to get rid of this...
Thanks, Ben
You might consider abiword. It does not do too badly with text and figures (at least ones based on jpegs). If you need to render equations it is not as good as OO. I think you can find it in extras or extras testing. I can't remember for sure. As it turns out, the best version of abiword I used on n900 is actually in the debian repositories. You can set it up so you just call it from an icon and not start the whole LDXE. I havn't tried it with docx.