View Single Post
Posts: 344 | Thanked: 1,345 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Paris, FR
Patchmanager
patchmanager is the continuation of my work on system tweaks on SailfishOS. It allows managing patches in the whole system. Patching system files can allow UI tweaks, and a lot of other features. Only the imagination of developers is limiting here.

With the new update, Pandora enabled lipstick is no longer needed.

Don't install lipstick-pandora if you are running 1.0.7.16 or later version.

Warning: system file patches can break your system, or worse, malicious patches can cause privacy / security issues

Use with care, apply patches at your own risk.

Warning: patching homescreen QML files can brick or damage your device. Use with care.

Recovery is helpful to recover from bricking. There should always be a backup of lipstick code inside /opt/patchmanager/backups. Use the following code to recover broken lipstick files
Code:
cd /opt/patchmanager/backups/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/
cp -rf * /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/
Some patches

Video thanks to @fravaccaro

Gallery video patch

I have developed a small patch that provides a better UI for the video player in gallery. See this blog post for more information. (Note that the package in this blog post is not using patchmanager)

Unlimited multitasking

Want to have more than 9 multitasking windows ? Well, you can ! Applying unlimited-multitask patch from sailfishos-patches-advanced package, you will enjoy several pages of multitask windows.

This patch is still being developed, and there are known issues. However, it can be used right now. Don't forget to restart lipstick after applying the patch (there is an option in patchmanager).

Control center

Replacing the right ambience switcher panel, you can find the control center. It will (at some point), be extensible with widgets, but right now, you can find the switches from jolla-settings app.

Vibrate when call established

A feature I wanted long time ago is to have a vibration when a phone call is established. A patch is now included in sailfishos-patches-base to perform this.

Get it

I will use OBS to build my packages, and use OpenRepos to distribute them. You can try OBS packages if you want, but I recommand OpenRepos. (Except for pandora enabled lipstick)

If you like my work, please also consider a donation

recommended builds

Not recommended ones
  • patchmanager 0.4.5: OBS
  • base patches 0.5.1: OBS
  • advanced patches 0.3.4: OBS

Installation process
  1. Install patchmanager from openrepos
  2. Install patch collections from OpenRepos (base, advanced).
  3. Apply patches, like unlimited-multitask
  4. Relaunch services using the pulley menu. This applies patches

Note that before uninstallation, please unapply all patches.

Troubleshooting

If you brick your device in pandora mode, follow these steps.
  1. Reboot in recovery, and chroot in SailfishOS
  2. Copy the backup files (see below)
  3. Reboot

Code:
cd /opt/patchmanager/backups/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/
cp -rf * /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/
Current issues

patchmanager
  • Cannot fix patches
  • Cannot cleanup patches

Patches
  • Unlimited multitask: you can enter housekeeping mode only from the first page
  • Control center: volume slider do not appear.
  • Do not unapply patches when uninstalling
  • Date on lockscreen seems to be broken, and breaks other patches
  • Events view have a swipe feedback while it shouldn't
  • Sort of feature: Vibration occurs from all successful calls connections, even from an incoming call

Patchmanager for developers

Patchmanager is hosted in the sailfishos-patches group on Github. Feel free to contribute, and bring more patches. All projects should have a decent README. If they don't, ask me here, on Twitter, or on IRC.

Last edited by Sfiet_Konstantin; 2014-11-23 at 17:45.

The Following 86 Users Say Thank You to Sfiet_Konstantin For This Useful Post: