View Single Post
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Here's a problem I found while messing around most of the day with the N900 ( didn't get any work done today ).

If I click on 'Add Shortcut' then choose for ex. AP News, I'll automatically get a shortcut on my desktop, yet when I click on the shortcut because AP New's isn't downloaded on the phone it directs me to download the app. Once downloaded and automatically installed, I go back to the desktop only to find my shortcuts have now been replaced with the widget.

The whole point is saving the battery with the shortcut--yet if I double tap the desktop then 'add shortcut' and list will come up with the available shortcuts but AP New's isn't there anymore... I go into the phone, then into 'More' where AP New's was originally located, and nothing...the only way to get it back is by clicking on 'Add Widget' via the desktop. If I also go into the application manager, AP New's or any other app I've downloaded but deleted from the desktop is no longer available in the application manager, even though the app itself is still on the device.
Several of the apps pre-installed are only installers - when run, they'll just install the actual application. Once this is installed, the original app will disappear (as it's no longer relevant). The AP News app is obviously one of these. As for why you can only get it as a widget - that's all it is. There is no separate AP News app, it's the widget or nothing. If you don't want to use the widget (to save power) then all I can suggest is adding a web bookmark to the AP News site instead.