Thread: Halium Project
View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
As far as using Android kernels etc. I would like to avoid it where possible as well. Unfortunately due to the lack of open source drivers for some componenets you sometimes have little choice. If you try to get a working version of Maemo on something like a Samsung Galaxy or Sony Xperia, I think Android drivers are going to be the only way to do it.
I think it should be possible to a working version of Maemo on a Samsung Galaxy or a Sony Xperia. There would certainly be missing functionality without the use of Android blobs and libhybris for those hardware components that require them, but I think a generic Linux operating system, like Maemo, should be bootable. Several Exynos and Snapdragon SoCs used in Samsung Galaxys and Sony Xperias already have mainline Linux support.

The use of kernels with an expiry date has been a major show stopper that has prevented me from purchasing an Android or even a Jolla phone. There are millions of Android devices with unpatched kernels still in use. Halium devices with Android kernels have the same problem. I don't think it will be long before we see another WannaCry-type worm aimed at unpatched EOL Android kernels with known vulnerabilities.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: