View Single Post
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What's so special about Sailfish? OK, I get it, it is Linux. But in what way is it better than any other Linux? If anything, I see it quite crippled compared to even its predecessor.
What's special about Sailfish to me, is that it hits pretty well the sweet spot at least for me. Some people value open source above all else. Some people that the they get things done with their device. Some people that they can tinker with the system as they want. Some that the UX is pretty and usable.

I value all of that with variable degrees. For example I was excited with Ubuntu Touch, and it was as much open source as could be. But it was still crippled in ways that killed my enthusiasm pretty much.

Sailfish has many closed sourced components. Yet it allows me to get things done, is pretty friendly for tinkering and "owning my device" as such. And it's quite standard Linux distribution under all of the nice UI.

So for me it's been the best. And I'd be quite surprised if this Librem phone can do better. But if it does, I'll be gladly surprised.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: