View Single Post
This thread is continuation from brainstorming about chrooted-Android in this thread. So:

what?: the idea is the same (well, maybe a little different but still quite simmilar ) as what easy-debian is doing with Debian, just with Android.
tl;dr: Android apps on Maemo!

why?: in order to run Android apps (.APKs) in the same way easy-debian is "emulating" (this is not emulation at all) apps from it's repos.
tl;dr: Because of Android apps?

how?: first of all we need chrooted (or "LXCded") Android (NITDroid probably, or some "cropped" version of it). Steps (aka TODO):
  • Patch Maemo kernel with Android features / modules. [WIP]
  • Compile LXC for Fremantle.
  • Make Android run inside LXC.
  • Modify pakesson's ParallelDroid, so it will render Android apps to the Maemo window.
  • Profit!
<- tl;dr version for this not avaible..

So far, everything up to here, was done by thp. Also, liar has made some progress in this area (on Harmattan, as thp).

Chroid is simmilar project for WebOS.
Most promising is ParallelDroid by pakesson. -- GitHub.
(Thanks Hurrian for mentioning this!)

Progress:
  • I'm trying to contact alex from N900 NITDroid dev team, because the N15 link provided by him is down. I recommend to wait, as N15 is really interesting, and seem to provide many interesting features, bugfixes etc. <- there were bugs inside N15. Let's use N14 for now, later upgrade to N15 will probably not broke anything.

I will update continually this thread / post with more info. Expect lot of problems, bugs & glitches soon!
Also feel free to ask, answer and share your thoughts.

(If you want to test - there is nothing to test as of now, but if you want to develop, install scratchbox & grab a copy of NITDroid. And Go!)

Last edited by lexik; 2014-04-22 at 21:56.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post: