View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Good advice, but if people can't figure that out, they really should not be playing with a terminal, especially in root

Sorry, I had to say it!
Normally I'd agree, but because in my ownership of the N900 I went from barely computer savvy Linux newb to a semi-capable N900 user, and it's not really the same thing - it's one thing to say that if you don't know how to change your own password or use the shell you shouldn't use hacking tools - since that kind of stuff is readily available. But in the case of the repository, you have to know in advance that the N900's aircrack-ng package is named in accordance to the standard naming conventions for the package (if there even is such a thing, of which I'm not sure).

And while for something like the shell you can just google "Linux command line tutorial" or something and get a lot of very informative results immediately, the N900's extras repository package listings are less intuitive to search for. It took me months before Nicolai (I have this feeling I'm spelling his name wrong) kindly pointed me to the maemo.org/packages/, where you can actually search packages by name and the like, to see what packages are available and more importantly, to get the name by which they would be labeled in the repository.

No need to conflagrate trivial knowledge about the workings of a specific site's interface with ones ability to use the shell and be generally tech savvy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: