View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by ScumCoder View Post
Just my 5 cents.

The only thing that I want from the Neo900 team is to actually finish this project. The time it takes is irrelevant, because my requirements to the smartphone hardware are non-existent. I'm still content with my 10-years-old N95, and in some ways it is still a superior experience compared to modern iPhoid smartphones.

The only thing that will really make me mad would be if the project just fails with no outcome whatsoever. I was observing the development of GTA04A5 by Nikolaus Schaller, and was horribly depressed when it failed because of the soldering problem, despite not being financially involved. Making hardware is much more difficult - and important - than making software. You don't publish patches to your hardware, or "clone" someone's hardware repository onto your table, or check if a fix worked by simple recompilation.

Also, I (unlike a lot of other people here) am interested in Neo900 project for its security first and foremost. There simply is no such thing as "paranoia" when it comes to the safety of personal data. Every byte of closed-source executable code is a breeding ground for backdoors and spyware.

So, I am ready to wait as long as necessary. The only thing I ask is to please not give up. Two failed open hardware projects in a row will be too much.
Same. Not financially involved in GTA04A5, but sad that it seems to be frozen/failed. Maybe, it will be resurrected after Pyra and Neo900 are finished; no idea what the problem with GTA04A5 exactly was?

Take as long as you need, just don't give up. Nokia N900 works, and there is no reason to expect it will change.

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I haven't kept track of the maemo-devaun project ...if that is the purpose of it ..then I am glad it is being undertaken .
It is a sane precautionary measure..
Great. Maemo-devuan, fptf... They are about upgrading Maemo to current Linux kernel and such.

In fact stupid me ..I forgot to mention along with ubuntu and debian..distros ...
there is an os that could make things much easier for such work...
Bedrock OS is meant to run stuff from any distro ..together ..compatibly ..
that strikes me as being far more flexible and yielding to maemo os needs..
From any distro? Like, regardless of package format? Debian+Fedora and such? It would be a nice (and difficult-ish) trick, though not exactly relevant to Maemo imho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedrock_(framework)

But since 2013 ....
there is the pocket chip and the flavors of Pi that are doing remarkable things ...for under $50. ....and they aren't far away now from proper telephony....it is simply a small step away for them.
Linux is running on them...
Sure it may have proprietary bits..
But still.
at this point in the timeline of what is available ...
It looks very attractive...
Originally Posted by xman View Post
I like the pyra but it's too game focus and a few other that seems kinda of close .. but always seem to have a deal breaker for me.

Though eventually we may be able to run Maemo on a pocket chip device
x
I have a pocketchip somewhere around here. First impressions: too bulky to be carried in a pocket (well, it sort of fits into pocket of my coat...), strange keyboard (needs a keymat?), not a ready-to-use device (want to add this and that if it fits inside the enclosure; like, stereo speakers?).

Pre-ordered dragonbox pyra, too. But it's more like replacement of laptop for travelling, not a replacement for phone.

Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
Nice to see that discussion about Neo900 is starting again.

I would actually now be interested, which features of this phone might be most interesting or most important for buyers.

Is it...
... usage of linux package management on your phone (apt-get)?
... privacy?
... security?
... choice between multiple OSes?
... default no Android?
... Maemo?
... root access out of the box?
... hacking and tinkering experience?
... not boring as the usual android phones?
... using standard linux apps?
... ability to run current linux kernel for long time?
... ability to run native Linux Apps and Android apps at the same phone?
... standard linux desktop like experience?
... updated N900 with more than enough RAM compared to almost no free RAM on N900?

I hope you share your ideas on this topic.
Linux? Yes. Maemo? Yes, though I have a few tiny ideas on what could be changed in the desktop environment. Privacy and security? Yes. Default no Android? Yes, though I would like to get apkenv to work. Choice between multiple OSes? Yes, though I haven't ever tried to boot into anything other than Maemo. Root access out of the box? Yes. Tinkering? Yes. Standard Linux apps? Takes work, but nice, yes. Ability to run current linux kernel for long time? Would be nice to see new Linux kernel, but Maemo works even as it is.

Updated N900 with more than enough RAM compared to almost no free RAM on N900? Yes, but I worry about rootfs more, though RAM (aka speed) is definitely relevant.

Mostly... I don't see much phones around with qwerty keyboard, resistive touchscreen, slider, with stylus. Even if it needs screen protector to defend screen from stylus. Oh, and RGB notification LED, keyboard backlight, stereo speakers, good camera... Feel free to mention which devices are similar.

[Edit]
Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
And n9 OLED screen is superior to n900/n950 TFT.
I recently discovered Samsung Wave device, with characteristics similar to Nokia N900 (800x480 display) but different (no keyboard, no FM transmitter). Wondering if Neo900 board would fit inside. If the different screen (SuperAMOLED) can be attached to Neo900 board (guess it's question of flex connectors). In short, wondering if Neo900-SamsungWave Frankenstein is feasible (and usable). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Wave_S8500 Comparing dimensions: 118 x 56 mm vs 110.9 x 59.8 mm of Nokia N900. Guess the frame will not quite fit, 4mm difference? Still, there remains the question of whether a different LCD (like SuperAMOLED mentioned above) would fit into Neo900 (connectors compatibility, driver, power drawn and such).

Also, there is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droid_4 . Different display resolution, but it has slider keyboard.
[/Edit]

Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2017-07-28 at 03:38.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: