View Single Post
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Why wouldn't I keep it? Really, it still works great, still runs the apps it ran before, more actually... It's awesome.
  • It wakes me up in the morning (FlipClock)
  • It flashes if I have mail (built-in mail client IMAPed to Gmail).
  • It lets me browse the web (built-in browser) sans adverts (lmhosts file) for news and my morning Dilbert (just prepping for work).
  • It's my journal, reminder system, todo list, and quicky note taker (quick-clip with some custom Perl scripts).
  • It tells me if I should carry my umbrella (omweather).
  • It's my speedometer if I drive the van (speedometer via GPS), because the one in the van is broke and I'm too lazy to fix it.
  • It's my ODBCII interface if I drive the car (carman), because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to fix it.
  • It's my lunchtime entertainment (panucci) with downloads from OTR, or (mplayer) videos.
  • It's my calendar (mCalendar - synced to Google).
  • It's my GPS when travelling (maemo-mapper, though I keep map as a backup for when I'm out of a cached area).
  • It's my Japanese language flashcard prompter (FullRecall - though I might switch to something new).
  • It lets me doodle out project designs (Xournal).
  • It's my book reader (FBreader) - and it seems that reading in portrait with red letters on black is easier on the eyes than a regular book.
  • It keeps my secret stuff (notecase).
  • It lets me try out programming ideas in Perl (geany with a custom keyboard map to get the Perlisms).
  • It lets me add up numbers on occasion (built-in calculator).
  • It lets me show off my travel pictures when visiting (media player - which I find better for slide-shows than canola).
  • It lets me keep up with the podcasts (canola).
  • It lets me search the web (often with a custom search plugin to skweezer).
  • It lets me search my Google notebook (another custom search plugin).
  • It lets me check my cellphone answering service (gizmo, because skype wouldn't do the touch-tone calling tree), because I'm too cheap to use my pay-as-you-go cellphone.
  • It lets me SSH into my home Linux computer and fix things when I've mucked the X11 settings (ssh from the terminal).
  • It lets me remote-desktop into my work server and fix things without having to get to a desktop system (pyrdesktop through vpnc).
  • And, of course, there's Numpty Physics... just because.

And, geewizz buddy, why would I need 100,000 more apps? I'll keep my N810 until the battery dies... oh wait, I have spares. Okay, I'll keep it until my kid laughs at me when I pull it out (and he's not born yet).

David...

Last edited by fixerdave; 2010-02-17 at 04:25.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post: