View Single Post
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
(this might seem slightly off-topic but stay with me).

I bought a guitar a little while ago, and I accessorized it with a nice carrying case. I tried it out in the shop and it seemed fine, the salesman demonstrated it. However, when I got home, I couldn't make it work properly, instead of nice music all I got was discordant sounds, no music at all! There were virtually no instructions with it, apart from general care... I've played with it for a few hours and still no luck.

Never having owned a guitar before, I asked a friend and he says I should buy a book about learning to play, and would probably need to take expensive lessons if I want to become any good at it.

Well, I was pretty annoyed, I thought the price of the guitar was all inclusive! I went back to the shop, had to argue with the salesman and eventually got a refund - he treated me like an idiot!

~~ just change "guitar" to "computer" and this is a common theme across the world, change it to "nokia n800" and you get the original post.
this is one of the sillier things i read...just change "ipod" for guitar and you will have a similar example.

if your guitar made no noise at all (an "internet tablet" which doesn't connect to the internet would seem to be closer to what my experience with the n800 has been) that would be somewhat similar, but an internet tablet is not a guitar, it should connect to the internet without any problem whatever, just like an ipod should play music, right out of the box.

coming to a forum of "fans" of a device is a mistake.

a couple of other comments i would like to make as i paged through this thread.

my copy of windows, like almost everyone else's, came on my computer, before there was anything like "windows genuine advantage", so i am sort of stuck with it, unless i want to go through the effort to install linux on another computer (i don't).

second, that is not the main issue, the main issue is that the n800 doesn't work. it won't connect to the internet, it says it is connected, it sends data (according to it) but the two routers i have administrative priveleges on don't see it, and the free networks and other secured networks i tried to get on all have the same symptoms. i thought flashing the operating system (which i did, finally, after being very inconvenienced) had no effect on the problem at all, the same symptoms recur.

the device, in short, doesn't seem to work, now i have to drive 50 miles to return it.

it's a beating, and everyone who thinks this device ought to work, whether they know linux or not, is making, from my experience a mistake buying one.

i'd have a lot more sympathy for you all if someone at the comp usa had told me that this thing was going to take dozens, if not hundreds, of manhours to get working, in addition to the $400 i already spent.

last, the issue i have with the damned thing not synching up with their tool on my computer is that making sure the time was synched on my computer is totally unecessary for the proper working of the application. Updating the operating system has nothing to do with what some bozo at microsoft time server thinks the time is.

Last edited by cdstrand; 2007-05-14 at 19:44.