View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Today I joined the Sailship with my phone

It was the awesome awesomeness of the N900 - apt-get to install any applications, apt-get upgrade to keep'em all up-to-date.

So I set up the Jolla Store on the device, did
Code:
zypper ref
zypper se modrana
and nothing appears in the search results.

Is there any way to use Jolla Store from the command line (e.g. via zypper)?
Welcome aboard

I think the recommended way of installing packages is pkcon

Code:
pkcon refresh
pkcon search name modrana
pkcon install modrana
which does not need root, but zypper should work as well. It works fine for core repos and repositories from OpenRepos.net .

However, installing apps from the Jolla Store is more complicated AFAIR*. As app stores are supposed to contain millions of apps these days (even though it's not the case with Jolla Store yet ), having them in one large repository and let every device refresh the whole repository on every update would be too complicated and would require large index stored locally. Therefore you have your personal repository on Jolla Store, which consists only of apps you install through the Jolla Store app. Your phone then refreshes only this personal repository and checks for updates there.

You can still uninstall these apps through pkcon/zypper and maybe also install some time after you removed them, but not install new apps.

It is an inconvenience in your use case, but once you get to know the reasons behind it, it is quite a reasonable decision. Luckily, you can subscribe to repositories the traditional way from:and find apps like Modrana there.

*I am not sure if I recall this correctly, so I hope someone will correct me if I don't.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: