View Single Post
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
For those who have tried android phones before, is the web-browser (google chrome? ) open source? if yes it would be cool if the source could be downloaded and ported to the N900.
Android uses a kinda 'Chrome Lite' version as the default webkit-based browser, though it's not actually called that. It's ok, but nothing special, very basic. No need to port it to Maemo as far as I'm concerned. Maemo's standard Mozilla-based browser looks like it would kick Android's standard browser all over the screen. If you wanna try, it is OSS and for example the Steel browser for Android (which I much prefer) is a fork of the standard browser.

Although i love firefox my experience with google chrome on Ubuntu has shown that webkit is the way to go when it browsing the web. Compared to gecko based browsers webkit has better rendering speed (esp which java script laden sites like google reader etc) and their are lighter.
Not so for me. I found Chrome to be only marginally faster than the latest Firefox. Not worth giving up all the cool stuff Firefox does.
Registered Linux user #266531.