Thread: USB keyboard ?
View Single Post
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Mike Cane
Man, all these wires STSOM! You expect someone with a silly phobia like mine -- *fear of electrocution!!!* -- to diddle around like that?

And. geez, seeing that keyboard next to the wee 770 made me laugh!!!

Aren't there smaller keyboards? (Aside from Stowaway/ThinkAhead BT!)
:-) I wasn't planning on leaving it like that; it was easier to see the wires that way. I have tried a _lot_ of PDA keyboards with various devices, ranging from rigid ones for my old Palm Pilot Pro that it sat on, to foldable ones like the Stowaway, to IR foldable versions with those terrible little cradles and reflectors. In my book they all stink for one reason or other, although with the exception of the rigid keyboard they are all roughly pocket-sized.

Pocket-sized is very overrated as I usually have a backpack with my gear in it. This keyboard is not only rather small compared to a normal 104-sized keyboard, but it is also very thin (as thick the 770 in its case as its thickest point). Thus, in my bag it doesn't take up much room. It's very pleasant to type on, with a springy action and muted click, and the keys are normally spaced so there's no relearning curve. I'm not crazy about the extra real-estate taken up by the buttons across the top for power/volume/etc., although it would be interesting to get them working.

Then there's the price: $20 and easy to find, vs. $70 or more for a BT keyboard that may or may not work with the 770. If you can splice cables you can have virtually any USB keyboard working with the 770, no software required, on the cheap.

Just my 2 cents...
Larry