View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Agreed.

On the other hand, matemana has a point. I may ruffle some feathers by saying that but, as a general rule, based on my 15 years of experience with open-source software, when I have a choice between a professional product and something bashed together by someone in his spare time in his bedroom, I go for the former. The quality of the vast majority of open-source software is abysmal, especially in the applications domain. Stability issues, lack of QA, lack of documentation, poorly designed UI, missing or half-baked features...

There are notable exceptions, of course. I use OpenOffice (or Free or Libre or whatever the current flavour of the month is) over the MS equivalent. It is nowhere near as polished but it is good enough for my humble needs. The same goes for Avidemux. It crashes 4 times out of 5 but I can put up with it, which I would not if I had to use it professionally.

I have never used Sfdroid and I am happy to believe that it may be different. A lot of open-source systems or server applications are just as good as their commercial counterparts, if not better. Apache is a good example. Sfdroind looks like it may fall into this category.

But I can understand matemana's and other users' skepticism.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: