View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I suggest...using what devices exist currently....modding physically if necessary to ones own desire....
Originally Posted by szilveszter.domotor View Post
...project cancelled, majority of the startups finish like this...

Reaction to endsormeans man do you think this is normal to modify mikrochips and doing handwork on mm-s? That would need special skills, tools and total engagement to technology... We buy hardware and use them normally not manufacturing it
That's a sad world where people are recommended to go with the flow and use large rectangular phablets with capacitive touchscreens and pre-installed Android just because a start-up failed.

Yes, I have put a lot of faith into Neo900. No, I am not intending to curse Neo900 or ask for a refund - as stated above, majority of start-ups finish like this - I am intending to ask for any and all possible documentation to remain in existence, on a safe server, and/or many computers, even if it is not feasible to manufacture due to lack of some ancient components.

I am hoping for Leste to become fully usable as an everyday operating system - not just on OMAP5 and Nokia N900 - but also on Fxtec, Pyra, Droid 4, and whatever other phones, tablets or laptops become targets.

And then maybe Neo900 can be revived - no necessarily physically compatible with N900, lack of mechanical parts is daunting - and with a different processor? - I reckon it sounds like STEP2, a little? I still hope for it to be small, pocket-able, protecting privacy, tinkering-oriented - and running Leste.

Of course, funding would be a problem. Of course, I personally don't expect such a project to start until and unless all Neo900 pre-orders can be, at will of customer, either refunded (no ill will intended) or converted into vouchers for new device (for persevering optimists).

And I am guessing that everybody needs a break and re-charge - a few years, perhaps, to play with devices that do exist, and reassuring ourselves that it is possible to make open-source devices and not fail - and then in the future, a few years later, we will see what "modern smartphones" will look like. Google advertises on-board (off-line) speech-to-text as a new cool thing, as if pocket-sphinx (and other speech-to-text software) didn't exist ages ago!

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: