Thread: Maemo Advocacy
View Single Post
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There's been quite the flareup here lately, and it's not surprising. I expected a transition from Maemo to MeeGo to be rough.

The only part I want to address is the Civil War.

But first I guess I need to make something concrete and clear: I'm not happy with many of Nokia's decisions this year, especially those that rebuffed community interest and desires. I will in no way defend Nokia mistakes. Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point has missed some key blog articles recently. But the link is below; feel free to catch up.

I'm not going to speak for any other council members here, although I will defend them and the concept.

How quickly they forget

Yes, it's true I was a Nokia employee, and it would be reasonable for people to suspect I might therefore defend the company for its behavior. But that ignores history (of which many might be unaware, I acknowledge). I went out on a limb when I first joined up here, angering Quim and a few others by pushing (too hard) for Nokia-to-community engagement. 4 or 5 years ago the company wasn't ready. Hell it still isn't.

I also lost my job with Nokia, best I've ever had, so if anything I should be resentful (I'm not, just regretful).

So now that we have that bit of reality out of the way...

"The council does nothing"

Here's where some either choose to ignore evidence or have an unrealistic expectation of what 5 volunteers should accomplish, especially under adverse conditions.

The council DOES work, both individually and collectively. You just don't see the process part. You see a post here or there, a blog article or two, and maybe get the idea that's it. But never underestimate the work behind those words. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be so summarily discredited for your similar efforts.

And if you really, seriously think this or previous councils have not done anything, just ask instead of attacking. We will gladly share that process with you.

"There's no reason for the council"

Any time a community gets this large, a representative body of some sort becomes a necessity. If you think corporate engagement is bad with us, just imagine what it would be like without.

At MeeGo there is no council (yet?), and many complain about the lack of a community sense there. Granted, a community CAN form without a council, but this is not a case of organic growth, but more like "instant community". I believe a volunteer council could help foster the missing community spirit.

Inward attacks

Nokia is focusing so heavily now on MeeGo that the company is like a wraith here now, a legend. Members grown tired of jabbing at a phantom have turned on each other. People I thought of as friends now show an ugly face I didn't know existed. The community is at each other's throats.

I don't have an easy cure for that. Does that mean I fail as a council rep? If you define it so, well, I can only say I'm sorry. But where was your advice as this struggle began? Did you offer any, or just wait for the balls to drop so you'd have a basis for complaint? Do you have solutions to offer, or just want to pick at wounds?

Like fatalsaint asks, what do you want?

Do you want five people to retreat to a purely defensive posture, resign for your satisfaction, what? Do you want us to pretend our accomplishments and efforts never occurred, so your comments look valid? Are you looking for personal vindication of a negative outlook?

Or are you just looking for the most visible target you can find?

Anyway, I guess I'm an easy target because I put myself on the front line. But for you guys. Lately I'm getting more grief for the effort than satisfaction. I'm just too damned stubborn to quit. I will stay in this post, as pointless as you may think it, and do any little thing I can to nudge Nokia into a better direction.

If I have failed those who voted for me, I sincerely apologize. But I don't feel I have failed those who were never in my corner to begin with. And malcontents can't be pleased anyway. We do have our share here.

If you have some personal vendetta against me or another member, don't take it out on the council. Definitely don't take it out on the community at large. If you're that frustrated, please find greener pastures. Let maemo.org find a new purpose, or die gracefully.

There is no need for civil war.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-08-11 at 15:52.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: