View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That's unfortunate.
Of couse I can just decide to ignore instructions if I know the route. But then I don't need routing at all.
If I don't know the route then unexpectedly ending up on an S2 trail is not an option. I might be riding my road bike or I may have company that can't handle S2.

I'll have to plan the route in advance anyway, but I don't see me remembering which instructions to follow and which to ignore on a 100km tour. So planning the route the way I intend to ride it is imperative.
Assuming that you use OSM Scout Server for routing, the routing engine (Valhalla) has rather good support for cycling (see https://mapzen.com/blog/low-stress-bike-routing/ , ignore red banner on the bottom). These options would have to be exposed by the map clients (modRana and Poor Maps). I haven't looked into it myself. If you have time, maybe you could look into the API of Valhalla and suggest which options should be exposed for cyclist (for example, by opening issues for modRana and Poor Maps).

The routing engine also supports waypoints which would help in your case. Waypoints are not supported by modRana nor Poor Maps. Again, I would suggest to open issues for this. Waypoints would allow you to shape the route to your liking, if you know the sections to avoid.

I have not imported elevation data that can be used by Valhalla to calculate the bike routes. Brief look indicated that it would require some additional service, but I think it should be possible.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I found that espeak can use German pronounciation if one provides the option -vde with the string it should read. The result is not pleasant but it's understandable. Adding something like +m3 or +f2 to the option even lets one pick one of four male or two female voices. Although I must say that the different voices of one gender all sound the same or at least very similar.
So it would be nice if one could tell modrana to use that switch.
Its not trivial to provide the spoken language support. Namely, you cannot just set the spoken language by locale setting since many routers have very limited set of languages, TTS engines have also low number of languages. So, forget about Swedish/Finnish/Estonian and many others.

Thus, language selection has to be programmed against router and available TTS engines. This has been done for Poor Maps, not modRana yet.

As for street names that's the next problem. When you have spoken language English and get German street name, this may not sound as good. German/German should be OK. In this case, at present, the best TTS would be picoTTS (only female voice) that is supported by Poor Maps.

In general, TTS is a weakly supported by Linux (maybe except MaryTTS which is Java-based engine). There is some work done by mimic, let's hope the language coverage will improve.

PS: espeak is really bad in terms of quality, but has the largest number of supported languages. Hence its frequently used when programming as the first engine and later mainly for amusing kids.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: