View Single Post
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hey Steve,

Have you managed to get the wired stuff working yet? Just curious as I thought the packages and Wiki info made it pretty easy to do, but if I missed something or there's a problem with the info/scripts then I'd love to know so that I can fix 'em up for everyone!

I agree with Benson, for most people travel routers and wifi are nice, but there are so many issues that you CAN run into that prevent it from working. My Dad travels a lot, and while he likes to use technology and is all over "cool new things" like the Tablet, he certainly doesn't have the tech background to be able to figure out what tweaks or changes he'd have to make to get a travel router working on a regular basis; he can manage the USB wired networking option though without any trouble at all (ironically he gets it setup and then calls me on his SIP account to ask me how to do other things on the internet half the time!). I think it comes down to your level of expertise and how much effort you want to put in for convinience; personally I could probably do the travel router thing without issue, but it would be more work and requires more understanding of all of the factors than a simple "plug and go" wired option.

And Benson, if you're like me buddy, forget hacking up the wifi routers with linux... just go for an embedded box like an ALIX and build your own UberBox ... it's where you'll end up anyways! (I went through an Asus WL-500GD, a few GPs, and now have gone to an ALIX 3c3 as it gives me full USB, a full 500mHz processor, expandable onboard storage, full serial/console port, lots of ram, built on sound and video, and 2 mini PCI slots for whatever radios you want to use... and it's still very small, power efficient, and no fans/etc required)

-Rob