View Single Post
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
That already implies "development behind closed doors". Which is already _at least_ as bad as Android. Fortunately though, there is Mer, so for at least the parts that are open, one can know they are "more open" than the other platforms.
Well atleast they use core unix/linux librarys different from that damn Android who is not even using glibc. Now people will cry about not using X11 but its dead beast anyway so time to move on.

So even if some is closed I prefer SailfishOS. And again if you think Tizen or Ubuntu edge is more open I just LOL.... Actually Ubuntu depends on Jolla...

And you have to realise that if they want to success on the masses they have to work with it "closed" or else it would be full playground of user input how UI should work.

After release I am sure it will be opened. Silica is already open like nokia qt-componets as BSD license. Only thing is we not yet has access to the repository but almost of the code is QML so its fully readable in the SDK.

Different with apps and drivers for several reason. Its time for people to understand that PC is NOT the same as embedded ARM platforms. Not even Raspberry pi/Beagle black drivers is fully open. Some modem is not fully open and so on. Especially not those highend GFX/cameras etc... Higend stuff that people want on the device...

As it seems now the phone will use libhybris means android GFX drivers, Reason the damn GFX drivers only exists for Android and is closed cause the GFX manufactors only has Android drivers. And there is no way Jolla could writing drivers from scratch in time not even if they did it open.

And if its so important that stuff is open pople could start contribute here:

http://www.github.com/nemomobile or http://www.github.com/mer-tools

Btw. just look in the logs most of the libs are used and contributed by Jolla employers.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-08-10 at 11:43.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: