View Single Post
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Is it documented somewhere what the differences between the Sailfish X and Sailfish XA2 are? I keep reading about Android 8.1 support. But what does that mean exactly? And are there any other differences between the two? I have an X and am trying to figure out if an upgrade is worth the time and money. I have been searching but find no concrete info.
First of all, it depends on your needs for Android apps. For myself, a few apps are necessary on my daily phone. (I only have had Jolla/Sailfish as daily phones.)

Recently, I dropped my X. With the replacement, it appeared that many Android apps received updates during the last few months, that require newer versions of Google Services. So I could not install several apps on my new X, which were happily running on my old one. My bank, a wind farm (production data), apps which I do not want to download elsewhere (bank) or are simply not available elsewhere than in Google Play Store. Other apps had already stopped last year, requiring Android 7.

I had already decided to buy a new XA2. After installing Sailfish, it appears I need Google Services, period. I hope Jolla or the community will work out something, otherwise my XA2 is useless.

BTW Another bank decided to check whether the bootloader switch is still in factory position. If not: no install.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post: