View Single Post
I would also like to add my input since I am a previous Zaurus owner, (both a CL-5500 and a SL-C700) and concidered the SL-C1000 prior to purchasing the 770.

Even without considering the CompUSA cost+ deal, the 770 is a much better value.

Dynamism wanted to sell me an _Open Box_ SL-C1000 for well over $100 more than I paid for the 770.

Given the larger screen, built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, there was no way I could find the Zaurus worth it. Carrying around a "purse" full of WiFi and bt cards has no appeal to me.

While I have never played with a SL-C1000, I can tell you that surfing the web on my SL-C700 was much worse than on the 770. Those that complain about memory issues on the 770 should try a SL-C7x0 for a while. Relatively speaking, the 770 is a pleasure to use.

Also, 160 pixels may not seem like much, but especially when you consider watching a 16:9 movie, it makes a huge difference. A letterboxed movie was pretty small on the Zaurus. It payed movies well (See kino), but it was not really an adequate media player to watch a full-length movie on. I definately could watch a full length movie on my 770.

As others have said, the screen quality on the Zaurus was fantastic for its time, but especially given the larger size, I find the 770 better. I also like the Tablet form factor better than the Clamshell-twist-pda form factor of the Zaurus.

I really liked Qtopia on the Z. I never tried an X based distro. The application availability was the one thing the Zaurus had (has) on it's side.

I think Nokia is basically doing everything right with Maemo. I predict the 770 library will grow quickly, and as long as Nokia sticks to the patforum, I predict it will surpass the Zaurus library within a very short time. I already have replacements for almost everything I had on my Zaurus on my 770.

Mobile Linux? Got That.
Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2X, Motorola A780

Please visit http://linuxslate.com/ New! Discussion boards just started.