View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I agree, it is rather pointless to use external provider for searches since the data is in our own servers.
Agreed. Right now we have Search and Advanced Search (internal) and also Power Search (external). Are you suggesting we get rid Power Search or replace it with some other internal search?

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
... have you ever tried to find anything on TMO/MO with the.standard search?
The only eliable procedure is to use tbe 'google' search (as sad as it is).
I'm often able to find what I'm looking for with the internal search. Sometimes I use DuckDuckGo if I can't.

One problem with external search engines like DuckDuckGo or Google is that they index words listed under the "Active Topics" which is displayed on every page. These words may be completely irrelevant to the indexed thread, so you end up with a lot of false positives in the search results.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Thanks!
I support/propose to try that.
This is TMO, not some Android forum. Many people here actually care about privacy. I think it's useful to have an external search option but Google is just unacceptable for many TMO users. Not to mention, why on earth should JavaScript be required for searching? I appreciate that velox is trying help out, so no offence, but I think it's time we got rid of Google.

This would be my proposal:

Code:
<iframe src="https://duckduckgo.com/search.html?duck=yes&site=talk.maemo.org&prefill=Search TMO with DuckDuckGo&focus=yes" style="overflow:hidden;margin:0;padding:0;width:483px;height:60px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>
More info here:

https://duckduckgo.com/search_box

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: