View Single Post
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
This is the first I'm learning about it as well! I agree, it seems like a great idea.

The iPhone/iPad line has seen a tremendous amount of peripheral support, thanks to it's all encompassing connector. If the industry rallies behind this connector, then devices like the Galaxy Tab will enjoy the same peripheral support (some of which are genuinely useful, IMO). It's great to hear that the Dell Streak is using it, and the Galaxy Tab may be next.

On the other hand, I'm a *big* fan of wireless, but as the port supplies power and wireless power isn't as of yet widespread, the PDMI port seems like a great alternative. I suspect a very high-bandwidth close-proximity wireless data/power spec and chipset would have to surface before this is considered realistic, and it is most certainly some time before that happens.

PDMI seems like a great addition! Thanks for pointing it out!

I'll be even *more* stoked when Intel's LightPeak surfaces as an ultra-high bandwidth connector for portable/fixed devices. Initial implementations reached 10Gbs, and claimed speeds are up to 100Gbs! Either speed is more than enough to run many, many, many uncompressed HD streams simultaneously. This is enough to meet the data demands of any current mobile technology, and should be the last connector that's needed (in a long time) for mobile devices. The best part is that it's optical, so the connector can remain unchanged while the speed continues to improve.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post: