View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I wouldn't say that Jolla apps are a good representation FOSS,
which is a good indication of the validity of my assessment Jolla's own apps are one of the very few good ones available in the Jolla store.

I don't really understand your relation between FOSS and the quality of software. In my experience, it's the other way. Have you seen Google Play? The vast majority of apps there are closed/proprietary, many of which are made by non-developers, students, etc. with little experience who want to jump on the "app" bandwagon and the quality is atrocious in most cases.
Yes, and the same applies to the vast majority of apps in the Jolla store or Openrepos.

I am not discussing the relative merits of FOSS versus non-FOSS. I was merely commenting on this:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
... FOSS is seen as a bunch of wild kids doing their own thing in a basement ...
to which my response was,
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hand on heart, that reputation is by and large justified. The vast majority of FOSS is crap.
I stand behind that statement.

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
As for reputation, I'd argue that FOSS doesn't have a reputation at all amongst the general public. Most people don't know what FOSS is, and those that do know what it is, generally don't have a strong opinion about it.
Among general public, you are probably right. I had my own share of problems stemming from someone's misunderstanding of FOSS. I had my job seeker's allowance suspended when I was registered at the Job Centre because I was contributing to FOSS and they considered it a breach of their rules.

Among the semi-informed, though, FOSS does have a reputation and it is not very good. My wife just told me how she finally got her boss to approve the purchase of some "corporation grade" video editing software that she wanted to make public presentations with. When I asked her whether she had tried Avidemux or some other free alternative, she just gave me that sort of look you may get if you asked someone who wanted to go from London to Manchester whether they had considered walking.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: