View Single Post
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I see it as a parallel issue - SailfishOS could make a periodical rebase upon some desktop distribution every n months, just like Linux Mint does with n = 24. All of this is mostly userland, so this shouldn't be so bad.
It's not parallel issue as long as Android drivers are needed. You cannot rebase to some desktop distribution that has been built on top of newer kernel version which breaks compatibility with available drivers. Mobile devices still differ from standard desktop/server hardware on that part. At minimum you would either break compatibility with older devices and Sailfish versions, or you end up maintaining many different branches of SailfishOS, which would add strain to already too limited resources. Or, if you tried to rebase and then use older kernel, I'm quite sure it wouldn't happen without some amount of patching - all of which would have most likely to be done by Jolla as we already have seen that open sourcing parts doesn't seem to attract much interest in fixing problems even in cases where problems are loudly touted in the community.

I'm also not that convinced that it would benefit SailfishOS to couple it to desktop distribution. What would be the benefit to weight against losing much of control in development?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post: