View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by epertinez View Post
Do you think there could be someone in the comunity with enough skills to compile hildon, or later maemo/meego interfaces into this new gemini pda?
If there is such a someone with enough skills in the community, then he doesn't have enough interest in doing it.
Up until Squeeze there was a hildon-desktop package in Debian which afair was the same version like on the N800 or N810. But it was in terrible shape. It was literally unusable and I didn't figure out how to configure it to make is usable.

If there were someone with enough interest and skill to port hildon to the Gemini, I bet he'd currently make sure there is a working hildon package in Debian.

Originally Posted by epertinez View Post
For what I know the machine is only able to run linux. It is in prototype stages and debian is only a proof of concept at this time.
There is no such thing like a "Debian proof of concept stage". Debian runs on more platforms than any other Linux and it is very clear where it can run and where it can't.
So if you design new hardware where you intend to run Debian, you have to either make sure to chose components that are already compatible with Debian or you have to make sure that Debian gets that compatibility (sources hosted by the Debian project).

Anything else, like creating a chimera of an Android kernel and a Debian userland is doomed to fail in the long run.
This is why I asked those questions in my first post here. I want to know if this is a true Debian system (in which case I'd be very interested if I can circumvent booting the Android system at all) or some twisted chimera (in which case I don't have the slightest interest in this device).

[1] http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/hildon-desktop/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: