View Single Post
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I'm excited to announce some pre-announcement here before the "official announcement" comes in TJC and official Jolla channels in coming days.

In short, Jolla tablet will be mass-produced again in its original form and with a choice of 128GB capacity.

Some of you have probably noticed some hint.

The story behind it is a coincidence, while I am working with the team in China for the Moto Z Keyboard Mod, I was talking about the whole Linux and Sailfish demand with the owner of the R&D house, to see if there is any chance that we can do some Linux machines for our community. We talked about Jolla phone, tablet, and future projects.

It was only at concept stage until I told him, Jolla Tablet was the best first party device Jolla released but sadly it wasn't widely available and the project turned out being an fiasco for Jolla. He was curious how the device looks like and I showed him --- It turned out that this is HIS DESIGN! He doesn't know the story behind Jolla's crowdfunding failure, and was only informed that the factory has cancelled the big order. So they moved on to other projects and forgot this one.

Now since this is clear, we dug-out some 2-year-old archives... All the MD files are there, the PCB layout is there, component BOM is there. Great! We then checked with the supplier, camera module, IC, chipset availability.... screen availability... Yes, we can still purchase it! (This is another coincidence, normally quite some chips will be discontinued after a period of time)

Now we are ready. No software adaptation needed, no tooling cost and moulding cost needed, no NRE needed, no software engineering cost needed, we can instantly put it into assembling line!

The next question will be branding... Obviously we can't use Jolla, and we are not interested to use 3rd party brand, so we created a new brand for this product.

We plan to release within the same specs (due to the chipset limitation, RAM can not be added) with the same price. You may be asking why same price, because 2K screen and eMMC chip price has gone up dramatically over previous years, and we have to pay Jolla additional licence fees. CPU also have some shortage but we are official partner with Intel and they will secure chipset supply within a reasonable price range.

The prototype is under assembling will be ready by next week.

There will be an 128GB version, as well as previous 32/64GB version. And will have a special colour.

Please tell us what your opinions,suggestions are? Will you considering buying one if this is available to pre-order in the next couple of weeks? Device will ship in 45 days after putting into manufacturering line.

I'm excited!!
April fools this project Will haunt us forever what a joke. Wasn't this the joke last year? And the year before that!

Brilliant thread. More of this please.

If jolla had some humor they should use it and post about the refund

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-03-31 at 19:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: