View Single Post
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Yes many people left maemo.org on the one hand because the Web 2.0 has eaten many smaller communities. I know quite a few forum with interesting people and discussions which have dissolved into sites like reddit. On the other hand the hardware is ancient by today's standard. Nobody looks anymore at an Android phone from 2012. Even the customs roms for the most well known ones have not seen any development for years.

But this place is special in so many ways. Here you can still find support by some dedicated people with expert knowledge on the devices. You can see people dust of old hardware and show amazing things that could be done with such limited power and occasionally you even see somebody new coming here, asking "Hey I am interested in those times, tell me more! Show me!"

For me it is no graveyard, it is a museum and a grand one! Halls filled to the brims with knowledge and practical exhibitions you can try yourself, archives so vast you can never hope to comb trough everything within them, and still, every time you do you find something interesting. A story or even something deeper which improves you understanding of technicalities.

Maemo.org is awesome!

I do not write here often because I always preferred to look trough archives undisturbed first, but I still use the hardware occasionally and am astonished at how well it still works and about the tricks which allow it to work in today's changed environment. And I am even more amazed a dedicated people like those working on Maemo Leste who still work to expand the place.