View Single Post
I like the way this is going...a lot. My biggest gripe is a need to scroll horizontally to read the content. That part needs to fit inside 800px width with a font around either 120% or 150%. Then the left and right columns typically used for site navigation as well as ads and other ancillary content can be examined when needed. And this even works outside the common 3-column layout design. Meaning a site can have multi-columns for content but hopefully this more newspaper style layout is going to fade from use as computer displays simply are not geared to reading in columns when those columns extend below "the fold" so to speak...

And to make this work sites will absolutely have to make use of properly implements CSS and server side processing based on MIME type and other header info that a browser sends along with the request. It all does add a layer of complexity that many site owners will view as not significant enough to design with these requirements in mind. Sort of like how many sites feel that leaving Mac users to fend for themselves makes sense from a business standpoint because the overhead to design and support what might amount to less that 2-3% of visitors to their particular site is not cost effective.

Still if site owners and developers would focus more on common sense and standards then trying to be too cute and tricky in their coding, internet use would be a far more pleasant thing...

I for one really dislike Flash for easily over 90% of the sites I might visit. A few need it and use it well, but most simply gobble my bandwidth with some pointless intro page that eventually just offers a link into the site...or they use it to push video ads that most users don't know how to block because the are not willing to disable Flash until they visit a site where it matters.

Anyway, this looks super promising and I do love the concept of a NIT site design standards. Especially for sites geared toward NIT's and smaller mobile devices. I mean geeze, if you have a site targeted toward a specific hardware platform, it's not unreasonable to expect that it function correctly on that platform? Yes? No?

BTW, for the most part this site is fine until I am need to increase the magnification on the site to 150%.

You know a lot of this goes away if the browser itself allowed font resizing. Page magnification is not the same thing. Font resizing changes only the font size whereas the magnification explodes the whole page. If the site is setup correctly it will elegantly manage re-sized fonts on the user end and re-flow with a changed in font size w/o affecting layout beyond making the page longer or shorter depending on the direction a font is re-sized. Or does the OS2008 offer a way to alter font size and I just have missed it?