View Single Post
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I like my Fairphone 2 because it's decent hardware that's easily repairable, and the company is trying really hard to do things the "right way", getting the community involved and being open about their goals (kind of like Jolla, but they've been better at hitting their targets and managing expectations IMO).

Fairphone has been actively supporting open source projects (even running one themselves with their own open source fork of Android), enabling users to choose a Google free OS if they want, and they've made it easy as an end user to download binary blobs by negotiating with manufacturers to allow them to be distributed in this way.

More of an investment, but it should last longer than a Nexus device because you can repair it yourself, and if we want companies like this to be successful we have to vote with our wallets.

If I didn't have this phone, I'd get a oneplus 3 on the grounds that it's likely to get decent CM ports in the future and the 6GB RAM, while overkill for normal use, would be useful for compiling software on the device and that kind of thing.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post: