View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Took longer than expected to reply, but I became rather stretched with the recent developments. Let's see if it was such a good idea to get into the client GUI software in full. But that I will know somewhat later, when the setting up and fixes are done. Anyway, I would expect to have even less time to code for modRana specifically.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

This could be implemented as a search screen similar to the screens currently used for location/local/Wikipedia search, possibly with some additional options:
- search origin (route start/current position on route (if any))
- search distance (full route, next N km; pending any OSM Scout Server limitations)

It's a bit unclear where to put these settings, as there are currently none for the existing search pages. WhoGo maps handles this by a page that triggers the search and switches the the results, which still seems a bit cumbersome to me & prevents easily returning to existing result listings. So a settings page for search-around-route easily accessible via a menu seems like a better match to me, it can easily accessed when needed but does not need to be traversed every time.
I have implemented the search along the route for WhoGo using the current road only. So, its active only if there is a road available. As for limitations, OSM Scout Server searches the full road with the search optionally from some position. Imagine driving along road and looking for upcoming gas stations. So, some options are needed to be specified.

To me, it looks like an additional Search on modRana Search screen, next to Local and Wikipedia. As for options, you would probably want to add some options for Local search as well, to get support for specifying type and name in OSM Scout Server options. Probably also distance from current location or road. There are not that many options, so, screen can be shared with the results, but still some.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: