Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
For the record, I like the idea of showing the speed limit only when it differs from default. It is a nice reminder to be extra careful.

A few initial observations, in the chronological order:
  1. The default setting seem a bit "wrong". Of course, de gustibus non disputandum est, but I would expect OSM Scout to be the default maps provider
  2. Search and Navigation have their own provider settings. That is fine and some may find it useful, but I would expect the default to follow the setting of the maps provider and only diverge when the user explicitly tells it to.
  3. The application crashed on the first search. It took a while, as OSM Scout searches always do, so I took that opportunity to swipe to Home screen to check something and... Pure Maps took that opportunity to crash. Without saving my preferences. The second time I left it finish the search without disturbing it and it was fine.
  4. The landscape view seems a bit cluttered compared to portrait.
  5. I really like the view while navigating (driving). The tilt, rotation and especially the zoom (especially street names) are just perfect.

(Some if not most of the above are inherited from WhoGo Maps but I had been using WhoGo for so long that I had forgotten about them. Only starting a new application that had not the default changed yet to my liking has highlighted them.)

A few more advanced observations (again, none of them are new):
  1. In the Maps settings, what is the difference between OSM Scout Day and OSM Scout Day English?
  2. I don't think most people associate the difference between day and night with switching the map provider. I certainly don't. I would expect it to be a quick switch in a very prominent place. Something you can do quickly and easily while driving at 120 km/h on a motorway.
  3. The voice instructions told me to turn into A404, which it pronounced as "eigh-four-four" instead of "eigh-four-oh-four". This happened several times, so I was not hearing it wrong. Or maybe I was but consistently
  4. I have mentioned this before in the WhoGo thread, but still... I found "drive for 4/10 of a mile" a bit odd. I think I finally figured out why. The SI system is wonderful not because it uses meters and kilograms, but because it is decimal. In contrast, the imperial system never uses the decimal notation. A foot is 12 inches, not 10. A mile is 1760 yards (4 furlongs, 80 chains), not 1000.
    Fractions work in a similar way: everything is in halves, thirds, quarters, eights and twelfths. Examples: 5/8", 2/3 mile... Cooking recipes mention 1/4 lb, 3/4 oz etc, unlike metric recipes with their 125 ml and 250 g (not 1/8 litre and 1/4 kg).
    "4/10 of a mile" simply does not fit this paradigm. I realize this is too much work for such a minor cosmetic thing so I am just throwing it in as a curious observation, not a change request.

All the above said, I really appreciate the work you put in it and the continued development of an independent navigation solution for Sailfish. Thank you!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: