View Single Post
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
And I like the idea of the trackpad computer, but I guess my main point was not so much about the device but the environment in which it is used. Most of my non-pc-gamer friends don't own a monitor to plug a solu into, they use a laptop, on their couch. And so Solu is asking them, not only to change their OS but also their entire habits around computing, which is a big ask.
I totally agree, and understand that point. We discussed the various types of form factors a lot internally, and there are plusses and minuses to them all. Now if you think longer term, consider that a laptop form factor is just that: a screen and keyboard. In a Solu world they could be completely dummy, with all the logic in the Solu device itself, which can still act as a smart trackpad.

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Consider this; people now watch video on demand services such as netflix as a primary means of entertainment, which is great because its available all the time, but it lacks the synchronicity of scheduled TV in that you aren't watching something at the same time as your friends. With Solu, the details of what you're watching can be shared on the cloud, and so you can organise a weekly viewing of Game of Thrones with your friends and watch it simultaneously together, perhaps with integrated instant messaging so you can comment on whats happening in the show, safe in the knowledge that your friends are up to the same point. Maybe you're watching a movie, and you can 'share' what you're watching and some of your friends can jump in and watch together in real time.

I think its that level of social integration into the OS that is the real benefit for non-technical users.
Love this idea! Posted it to the Solu team. It's a great example of how the social and collaborative elements go beyond mere work. This we want to do.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Setok For This Useful Post: