View Single Post
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Yep because there is nothing I love more than developing for a platform where every time I write a piece of software I have to write a version for every goddam phone that comes out.

Right now I cannot guarantee any of my software will run from one phone to the next. So that means as a dev I need to have one of every phone (or pay exorbitant fees for a test bed) and I need to have the following SDK envs

Droid - Android 2.0 - completely new and undocumented API changes for almost all hardware

Cliq - Android 1.5 - All the new perms stuff in 1.6 breaks it

Hero - 1.6 with extras - HTC have made acknowledged changed to the way layouts are parsed and that causes many apps to act weirdly on them

G1 - 1.6 about as vanilla as it gets.

And its only going to get worse as Samsung enter the fray and make their changes to the base OS leading to more splintering leading to more devs losing their effing minds trying to code against the API only to find that the API no longer applies on many phones and now needs some new API that of course HTC et al do not provide documentation for.

GOOD TIMES!!!
Not to mention Sony and their apparent addition of video codecs and other OS distortions due to their proprietary UI