View Single Post
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I guess the issue I have here is that you're not just trying to create a new desktop computer, or a new operating system, or a new network data storage system; you're trying to do all of these things at once. Solu will apparently not take advantage of any user's existing desktop computers, or mobile devices, or network resources; and I would guess that there are very, very few potential Solu customers who haven't already invested quite a bit in one or more of these categories.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that the approach Solu is taking just doesn't seem all that efficient to me. Solu users are probably going to be sacrificing quite a bit to completely buy in to your world-view...
I understand your argument, definitely. I'm a software guy myself, and have not previously built hardware or hardware companies. However, this time we felt we had to do it. As mentioned, a mere Solu app will not suffice. It's not just the limitations on AppStore/Play etc, we do actually go down into the kernel level to make this whole model work. Now we could possibly have a virtual desktop environment, but none of those have ever been successful and, I believe, for good reason: the experience is too 'geeky'. You end up having an OS with its oldschool windows which then contain another OS with a completely different model. There is too much mental load and the experience is bad.

Technically we could provide a complete OS that you could install to replace, for instance, OS X, but then we would need to be very conscious about the many different hardwares we would have to support and, also, this would cut out most of the people out there who would never even think of installing a new OS on their machines. There is a strong psychological link between the hardware and OS.

Solu is a great piece of hardware that you can connect to many kinds of displays out there. You get a guaranteed good experience. You can use it on the go as a mobile device. It's beautiful and made in Finland, and actually pretty inexpensive for what you are getting. I think it's a pretty good offer :-)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Setok For This Useful Post: