View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Any comments about the modRana UI in this context ?
(either the "classic" one on Maemo/GTK or the "new" one on Sailfish/Qt 5)
Quick reply...
I have not used it for a long time... For GTK one: the tiles are cute in a way that says "let us build whole operating system where only Python-based apps can run, and the whole GUI looks like these blue-ish rectangles". For Qt/QML one: where is the Exit "X"?
~~~~~~~
And about gestures: let me re-iterate that I prefer for icons on app-launcher to be multifunctional, and serve as widgets, instead of taking up extra space by separate widgets.

We already have Calendar icon which shows current date. Theoretically, if I was not so lazy, we could make it show month, too: for example, by changing its foreground colour (grey-silver, black, brown, red, orange, yellow, yellow-green-lemon-lime, green, blue-sky-cyan, dark-blue-navy, violet, magenta). Year? Who are you, a time traveller, to forget current year? But it is too much of hassle in current limited system which expects that each image is static and independent of its environment; for example, it would have been much easier for Calendar if, instead of pre-generating all the needed possible icons, we could have one dynamic-icon file which (like SVG; possible with usage of JS) would re-generate image when triggered (be the trigger a change of date, an unread/read message, a change of time, or something else).

Similarly, we could have Clock which shows current time (rotating hands).

We could have Mail/Messages envelope which displays number of Unread emails/messages. Inside it, without breaking uniformity of interface.

And each icon could be 'fat' launcher. Launching one of several possibilities, depending on gesture. Like,
Clock could launch Clock itself, Alarms, or World Clock.
Mail/Messages could launch Modest=email, SMS, or IM.
Calendar could launch Calendar itself, or new-event dialog.
Media Player could launch itself, or control the currently played file: Back, Forward, Play/Pause.

Similarly, about lock screen: it should protect your information from being seen by unauthorized persons (if you are using pin-or-some-kind-of-protective lockscreen), and yet, it should provide access to information with minimal number of movements/clicks/gestures.

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: