View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
I agree, mostly what I meant too. Device drivers is the big problem. But the fact is that 100% of Jolla devices so far run Android kernel and libhybris. Even the tablet that is Intel x86 hardware (I have a Jolla tablet, too)!
Yes but your post made it sound like that'd be Jolla's fault and it bloody isn't; it is totally out of their hands, you just cannot get a mobile reference platform without android because such things don't exist!

Once drivers are overcome, any FLOSS distro could run on the device.
Yes but how are you going to achieve that, which mobile vendor is large enough that it has any leverage to force a SoC vendor to opensource it's drivers?? And if such a company existed, what could it gain from it, why would it do so??

It's just not going to happen, period.

For sure GUI applications need some tweaking for phone use and touch interface. Sailfish is also partly closed source at GUI level.
The parts that are closed in SFOS don't matter as long as Jolla allows use of the relevent libraries, just like it does for community ports currently.
And if you cannot live with that there is always Nemo; when not as polished as SFOS it does the job.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: