View Single Post
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I have the unpopular opinion that the Neo900 is not a device I'd ever put any money, time nor hope into.
[...].
I have an Openmoko neo1973, three Openmoko Freerunners, a gta04 two N900s (I've had five at various times) and an N950. I have a preorder in for a neo900, and I'll buy a Pyra when they go into full production. I consider myself a supporter of these things. That being said, I don't ever expect to see a successor to the N900. Of all these devices, it was the only one made by a company that had the resources to make a real mobile phone. That's just not something a handfull of people, with a target run of a few thousand devices, can do. These small-run products always have some crazy problem like the Freerunner glamo chip that ends up badly compromising the device. It's not that the engineers are incompetent - they just can't go through 10 prototype cycles, or even get state-of-the-art parts. The neo900 is being made partially from recycled parts from six year old phones! As time goes on, upgrading a 2009 phone to give it 2011 hardware, at huge expense, will make less and less sense - if it really does take another year for the neo900 to go into production, the only market will be people obsessed with privacy, to the extent that they are willing to forgo having a phone with a software ecosystem. I think our community should concentrate on something like supporting SailfishOS on Android hardware. We're just never going to get good handset hardware designed for a gnu/linux phone.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2015-10-21 at 10:38.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post: