View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
As much as I somewhat-often (I guess... I don't really count) agree with James Littler on things, I feel that in this case that's a luck-of-what-got-installed-when/where-and-what-your-use-cases are.

I've never had problems answering phone calls on the N900, and I haven't heard anything from anyone suggesting I just missed any. I HAVE had occasional bugs where the phone spontaneously shuts off, doesn't reboot (but still has battery power to do so and run for a while), and when it boots up the next time, the text messaging system is f'ed (new messages out refuse to send, new incoming ones arrive but if you close the convo they vanish). Reboot after that usually fixes it though.

The only time I've ever hung up on a call was when I was about to press an entirely unrelated UI element when a call came in. When I have used the N900 as a phone (mostly after PR1.3, with the exception of one week with, I think, PR1.1.1 or PR1.2), I have not had phone call getting problems. (I realize it was worse before-hand, but that's kinda indicative of the existing support.)

At any rate, I don't know how you feel limited, really. We just got a replacement keyboard that pulls of portrait damn well, we have just about everything a normal phone can do and then some, and if you look over the spectrum of users and use cases, we actually don't have more bugs on this platform than iPhones/Android devices have. I know damn well I've heard complaints from Android phone users about their phones being slow. I have also know there's a good amount of iPhone bugs - it's just that most iPhone users are busy going omg-I-haz-iPhone. If we had the same bugs on Maemo every one here would be flipping a **** calling Nokia horrible at supporting this platform, this OS as beta, etc, etc.

Nay, this OS is damn good. And if it had the same limitations the iStuff had, you'd never run into most of these bugs, because the stock apps barely have any. There would be some - but like the iPhone's alarm-not-going-off-at-the-right-time problem, that's to be expected.

What makes everyone here have a problem with it is that this phone doesn't BS you about what's behind the scenes, and it doesn't give you comfortable padding. If this phone only let you multitask on its terms, you'd run your individual apps one/two at-a-time just fine. If this phone hid every bug within an entire closed-source OS, instead of just within some (admittedly very important) binary blobs, you wouldn't know of half these bugs happened. Things would "just(/not) work", and when they didn't you'd either not know about it, or not know what the hell caused it.

You get the liberty to know a binary blob is buggy and Nokia is anal for not open-sourcing it because you get to see through the open parts of the OS in the first place.

- Edit -

At the rate things are going, unless I absolutely need something like later-than-9.4 flash compatibility with bs'ed version numbers soon (which, honestly, I'd like, but I don't need now), I'm probably keeping my N900 for a few years. (Really, dear god, do people really buy high-end gadgets only to upgrade less than a year after the fact? Is this just because the N900 is the first smart-phone I ever liked enough to go out and pay for myself, and it was an actual investment for me? Do the rest of you really have that many liquid funds?)

Anyway, right now, the only things I personally miss from this phone:

Full portraitization (It's known to be in the works, and MohammadAG fixed the Qt bug in Maemo that caused segfaults when launching in portrait). Honestly, given how MUCH portrait support is now available courtesy portrait keyboard and usable-in-portrait status-menu, I'm happy with what's there. I just like the aesthetic of having fully full portrait support.

The Flash being up-to-date, but like I said, frak it, it's not a problem enough for me.

Print function included in the FreOffice UI. I'm pretty sure host-mode + debian-on-armel-driver-for-printer = printing possible for even USB printers. Combined with the already present Bluetooth printing capability, there's no reason that shouldn't be in there already.

Beyond that? I'm kinda set right now. The rest are trifles, for me. I know I'm lucky and I don't have bugs like some other people do. I can't really help anyone there, though.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-27 at 15:34. Reason: Answering original topic.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: