View Single Post
Just some small updates. I've been playing around with running blackbox as the default window manager, and managed to fix most of the problems I mentioned above. (not being able to connect to the internet was the biggest problem). I also rebuilt bbkeys for nice keyboard shortcuts, but don't know how to package this. I'm trying to create a personal clone of the hildon-desktop source from http://maemo.gitorious.org/fremantle-hildon-desktop/ and merge changes into it allowing for alternate window managers such as blackbox, fluxbox, pekwm, etc. I'm new to gitorious though, and am having troubles with this.

So the pressing issues are now:

1. Camera can't record video when the display timer blanks out.
2. xrandr still doesn't work, (reboots phone when called)
3. xmodmap won't remap pointer (for right and middle mouse buttons)

I've also discovered numerous benefits to NOT running hildon-desktop. The most notable is that everything runs a great deal faster and there is little need to run Xephyr at all. (except that right and middle mouse buttons work in Xephyr, and screen rotation also works).

In fact, you can use the debian window managers from the chroot, to act as the default window manager in maemo. I'll try to post some videos of this if I ever get the time to make them.

I still would prefer to use a more robust debian/ubuntu on boot, rather than maemo. Any help would be appreciated as usual.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radiochickenwax For This Useful Post: