Thread: GPD Pocket
View Single Post
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Which,
as some of us have learned (the hard way) over the years,
never works for much more than a few fingers of hardware.

Sadly,
GPD will never be of much use as a linux host.
I can't disagree completely, and I don't expect (for example) battery life on linux to match that on windows, as it's often the case. Also, they might completely screw up the touch screen drivers (I don't know about other components needing a driver). On the other hand, GPD stated that the board is basically an updated version of the GPD Win board, which they had experience with for quite a while. Provided they do really care, I really hope they'll be able to cater for more than 4.4 kernels (which is the only thing they confirmed), even if it'd be with a NVIDIA-like wrapper thing around closed blob(s), as they mentioned in a comment:
We will try to achieve that.However we can't promise.Because we need to consider the cost and it also relate to the intellectual property....
Let's say I'm just choosing to be a bit more optimistic. I've backed this thing and don't intend to put Windows on there, so staying optimistic the only healthy thing to do.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Last edited by velox; 2017-03-11 at 14:50. Reason: grammar&typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post: