View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
How do you encode captured audio into <whatever>? Are there some build-in encoders in gstreamer and you're using it, or you just pass result of whole pipeline to Vorbis encoder?
Yes, GStreamer is a complete audio/video management package; it has "elements" available to handle every step of audio processing, from retrieving raw data, processing it, encoding it, and storing it; or the other way around, pulling encoded data out of a file (or other source), decoding, processing, and displaying it.

If you want, you can call each of these elements directly from the command line. You can use a "pipe" mechanism to direct the output of one element into the input of another, thus the term "pipleline". This is, in fact, how Recaller is using GStreamer. Used in this manner, you can pass command-line arguments directly to each element.

You can also construct elements within your own code; this is how I'm doing it. Used in this way, you can receive signals to get updates on how the element is working, or send commands to change its behavior. I have access to all the same parameters, I just need to make those parameters available to you (in some form).

I'll see about adding controls as I go. I could probably re-use Pierogi's "endless panel" mechanism here to provide every last detail of every last element, if you'd like...

AIUI, video that we get (and send) during video call, is already compressed for sending through internet
Ah, true; that would make things a lot simpler...

But, I agree, that it doesn't sounds like priority functionality in Orecch'.
Yeah, if I'm going to dip my toes into the world of video, I think I'd prefer to start an entirely different pasta for it.

Would it be possible, to allow choosing quality (either 8 kHz or 16 kHz, IIRC) for speex?
Actually sending that parameter to the "speexenc" element is trivial. Coming up with a decent user interface for it is probably a little more effort, but I'll come up with something... Thanks!

Edit: There are a lot of Speex parameters in this element. They have 8, 16, and 32 kHz modes available (along with an "Auto" mode, which apparently chooses the mode that most closely matches the audio source). And, they've also got a separate "Quality" parameter, with an integer value ranging from 0 to 10. Anyway, I'll see if I can make these parameters available...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2013-06-09 at 23:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: