View Single Post
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
which again raises the same questions........... why use sailfish at all if android compatibility is the priority? Fear of google should not be the reason since one can have android without it. What else?
UI and gestures are non existent in android apps. I really don't see any reason for using sailfish if android apps are must. And sadly they are because with sailfish you can call, text and have an alarm clock. That's about it. A lot of promising stuff from early days are now abandonware.

ATM, I would much rather pay 50€ for Sailfish skin on top of real android than for android support on halfbroken sailfish device.
Maybe one just likes sailfish? To me android is more like an application and sailfish is an operating system - with all it's possibilities. I have capabilities of Linux while having access to a wealth of applications run in vanilla android. I prefer being able to crypt my files in a real secure way with my own scripts that nobody else have no clue of, especially hackers / phone thiefs. Best of both worlds.

There are some programs like whatsapp that i need to stay in touch with some people abroad. I also like prefer some quality of life applications such as easy tickets etc.

Android support is definately a positive thing bringing more users to sfos and should be there as long as it is being developed. Without android support sfos will be a marginal product with a marginal group of users. Unless someone pours a ton of money to it - which may end up as another android.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post: